Who supports a Yes vote? Among others:
- Humanist Society of New Zealand (Atheists)
- Workers Party (Communists / no defined religious position)
- Presbyterian Support (Christians)
- Religious society of friends (Quakers, range of religious views, commonly considered a Christian sect)
Who supports a No vote? Among others:
- Focus on the Family (Christians)
- FIANZ (Muslims)
- Libertarianz (Liberals, no religious position)
- Sensible Sentencing Trust (no religious position)
Smacking views have nothing to do with religion. But they have a lot to do with your views on personal freedom. If you are an arrogant authoritarian who believes you know how to run everyone else's lives better than they do, you may support a Yes vote, and want to make smacking illegal. But if you are humble enough to realise that everyone knows best how to run their own lives, you can only support a No vote.
You don't have to be an atheist to be an arrogant authoritatian, and you don't have to be religious to be humble and promote freedom.